What Insurance Companies Don’t Tell You About Auto Accidents
This four-part series examines why it is critical to document auto injuries immediately.
Like every driver, you know that a head-on collision at 50 mph will cause visible damage to your vehicle, as well as noticeable injuries and immediate pain. But, many drivers don’t realize that a minor auto accident, like getting rear-ended in a parking lot, can cause temporary or permanent injuries—and most auto insurance companies refuse to pay. Whether you’ve been in a small fender bender or a massive head-on collision, it’s equally important for you to visit our Grand Junction chiropractor who can document auto injuries immediately.
Unfortunately, most people settle out of court for under $500 in compensation, which doesn’t even cover medical bills suffered due to the accident. Most auto insurance companies spread misinformation to trick drivers into believing that their injuries are not covered.
Even if you don’t feel any pain, it is absolutely critical to document your auto accident injuries with a Grand Junction whiplash chiropractor. The car insurance company will only pay for your treatments if you document your injuries with help from a professional like Dr. Angello- The Spine & Injury Center of Grand Junction chiropractor.
Top 6 Misconceptions Used by Auto Insurance Companies:
- Crashes at low speed do not cause temporary or permanent injury.
- All auto injuries heal within 6-12 weeks.
- If there is no damage to the vehicle, then you’re not really injured.
- Lesser damage to a vehicle means lesser injury to the person.
- Accident reconstruction professionals can predict the level and severity of injuries.
- If you had previous neck injuries before an accident, then you aren’t entitled to claim a neck injury from an accident.
Injury facts that car insurance companies don’t want you to know.
- Many injuries do not hurt immediately. Pain can begin several days, weeks, or even months after the accident.
- Soft tissue injuries are not visible to the naked eye, and many emergency rooms and primary care doctors simply are not trained to detect or diagnose these injuries.
- The impact of even a mild collision results in torque on the body, which can cause short and long-term injury.
- Injuries from minor or major accidents do not always heal within 6-12 weeks.
- Whiplash is real. It’s a medical disorder involving injury to your discs, muscles and tendons.
[box type=”note” style=”rounded”]There is nothing more significant than your good health, especially if you begin to lose it.[/box]
What About Minor Auto Accidents?
It’s easy for any driver to imagine braking at a four-way STOP sign when all of a sudden:
The car behind you just tapped your bumper. Your car jerks forward slightly—and so does your neck.
Because neither car was damaged and you don’t feel pain—you simply exchange car insurance information with t he driver, and forget about the incident. Two weeks later, you develop neck pain, headaches, fatigue, anxiety, and shoulder pain. You soon realize that your suffering is due to that minor accident. You need treatment, but the insurance company refuses to pay because you didn’t document your injuries immediately with a Grand Junction whiplash chiropractor, like Dr. Angello.
What about Major Car Accidents?
If you’ve ever been involved in a massive Grand Junction auto accident, you already realize why it’s important to document the collision. Police will document the accident, and the ambulance EMTs will document and treat threatening conditions. You can count on the police and emergency medical care to help you through the initial hours of a major accident.
EMTs, hospital staff, and physicians will check your vital signs, rule out life-threatening conditions, and then release you with pain medication, if needed. They typically don’t diagnose or treat underlying musculoskeletal biomechanics that often lead to pain and long-term conditions. This is why you need a Grand Junction chiropractor, like Dr. Angello, who offers personalized treatment options, and he will document your injuries for the insurance company.
Know Your Rights:
- Once you settle your case, you lose the right to have the insurance company pay for your treatments.
- You have the right to seek the medical opinion of a chiropractor in addition to the follow-up care recommended by an ER doctor during your initial emergency room visit or primary doctor visit.
- The insurance company cannot force you to visit the doctor that they recommend to you. You can choose your own licensed healthcare provider to diagnose, document, and treat your injuries.
- You are entitled to treatments that get you back to your original state of health right before the accident.
Join us next week when we cover: Factors and Symptoms of Auto Injuries: When to Call the Chiropractor
-Most car accidents cause unseen soft tissue injuries that involve muscles, ligaments, joints, cartilage, nerves and discs.
-Muscles repair and heal quicker because they receive adequate blood supply, while other soft tissues don’t heal as quickly.